what to wear for your family session
As a St Louis Family Photographer, I am often asked "What do I wear for my family session?" We want our family photos to look great and that has a lot to do with what you are wearing.
What you choose can make or break a session as there are some colors, patterns, and overall styles that just don't photograph well. Toss in the weather, and suddenly you are feeling overwhelmed.
But do not worry, as your family photographer, it is my job to help you during this process and leave you feeling confident for your summer family session with me. So grab your cup of coffee and let's dive in!
The first thing to do is to pick a color palette. This helps to give some idea and direction. And of course, a starting point. Palettes that I enjoy photographing and I find to be flattering are warm neutrals, earth tones, and jeweled tones. Muted tones from these palettes look beautiful together in a family picture. Everyone in the family can express their own style within the chosen color palette, and everyone in the family will coordinate beautifully
Coordinate the colors instead of putting everyone in one color. You want everyone to compliment each other's outfits by choosing colors that work well together. I find that if everyone is wearing the same color, they all tend to blend into each other and there won't be much pop or life to the images.
patterns and textures
When picking patterns, choose smaller ones that won't pull attention away from the main subjects, and only put one person in a pattern. Build everyone's colors and outfits off of the colors within that pattern.
When thinking about texture, choose different ones that will give some interest such as lace, corduroy, denim, and knit. But don't overdo it. Texture or layer up no more than two people.
What Not to Wear
We've covered everything you should wear but what about what you shouldn't? What is a big no-no for dressing you and your family? I have listed things to avoid when styling your family.
- Avoid bright colors as neons colors as they do not photograph well.
- Avoid any piece of clothing that has a brand name written on it or words of any kind.
- Avoid distracting, loud patterns that have bold, high contrasting colors.
- Avoid large pieces of jewelry.
- Avoid uncomfortable shoes or bright-colored shoes as they'll stand out in the photos. Neutral colors work great, and as well as flat shoes such as sandles.
Where to shop
My clients are often surprised by the suggested stores I give them to shop at. Target and Old Navy tend to be more budget-friendly so I always put those at the top of my list.
- Old Navy
- H & M
- Coco Plum Boutique (a local shop at The Painted Tree mall, great plus size clothing options)
- Baltic Born (my fave online store to get flowy dresses, great plus size dress options)
- Joyfoli (the cutest flowy dresses for little girls)
- Last but not least, Amazon can be a good place.
When it comes down to it, I want you to be comfortable and I want you to be you! Try to pick something to fits your family's style without compromising the look of your photos! The most important thing to remember is to make sure whatever you choose vibes with your family style. When all else fails, you can put everyone in different warm neutral colors.
If you are interested in booking a summer session with me, check out the dates I currently have open, and let's get you booked!